Lick block producer deal gives Vilofoss access to Benelux markets

By Jane Byrne contact

- Last updated on GMT

© GettyImages
© GettyImages

Related tags: Lick block, Vitamins, Minerals, Provimi

DLG Group's premix and nutrition company, Vilofoss, has announced another acquisition, following on from purchase of a Spanish mineral company just three weeks ago.

It has bought Belgian cattle minerals and specialty product producer, Nutriprof.

Jacob Holm, executive vice president, Vilofoss, told FeedNavigator the company gets access to the Benelux region through this deal. “They are markets that we have not been very active in before.”

Nutriprof’s lick block products particularly appealed, he said. 

“It is using two different technologies [in relation to the lick blocks], one is based on pressed blocks, which we already have in our portfolio, but it has another technology that integrates liquid minerals and results in blocks with another type of texture; they also contain a high level of molasses. There is a huge market demand for those worldwide.”

Nutriprof’s production facility in based in Villers-le-Bouillet, in Belgium. It has 10,000 tons of output per year in relation to vitamin, mineral and its specialty products. The business was originally established in 1975, close to Huy, as an independent entity; it was taken over by Provimi in 2002 and Nutriprof was created in 2015 after Provimi Belgium split off from Cargill's premix and animal feed business.

Growth strategy

Holm said Vilofoss will continue to be alert to additional acquisition opportunities as part of its growth strategy, but there is no deal pending.

Late last month, the Danish business revealed it had purchased 75% of the shares of Spanish family run company, Complementos de Piensos Compuestos (CPC) with an option to purchase the remaining 25%, with it saying that deal strengthened Vilofoss’ position as one of the largest premix and nutrition companies in Europe.

CPC produces 15,000 tons per year with a turnover of DKK 120m (around US$18m). It is located in the province of Navarra in northern Spain, so it well placed to serve the Spanish pig production industry, added DLG. Its output includes premixes and starter feed for pigs, cattle, poultry, sheep and goats.

“CPC is an extremely solid company with high earnings and no debt.”

The Spanish company exports 25% of its production primarily to South America to countries such as Columbia, Chile, Mexico and Venezuela. They are markets in which DLG/Vilofoss does not have a presence. CPC also exports to Cuba.

With the new Belgian factory, Vilofoss has 17 factories in eight countries in Europe and a small stake in a vitamin factory in China. Vilofoss produces 400,000 tons of vitamins and minerals a year and has a turnover of over DKK 3bn.

January this year also saw Vilofoss enter a joint venture with the French company, ARC, a piglet nutrition and chick prestarter specialist.  

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD SELENIUM SOURCE FOR YOUR FEED?

HOW TO CHOOSE A GOOD SELENIUM SOURCE FOR YOUR FEED?

Lallemand Animal Nutrition | 19-Jun-2019 | Technical / White Paper

Nutritionists are aware of the benefits of feeding organic selenium (Se) to animals instead of inorganic, mineral sources. However, when it comes to selecting...

Effects of GroPro in piglet diets - SDPP replacement

Effects of GroPro in piglet diets - SDPP replacement

Angel Yeast Co., Ltd. | 01-Oct-2018 | Technical / White Paper

The use of sprayed dried plasma protein is commonplace in piglet diets worldwide, but an alternative is available in the form of functional yeast - GroPro....

Fighting heat stress pays back

Fighting heat stress pays back

Nuscience Group | 15-May-2018 | Technical / White Paper

Cows worldwide in different climates with different temperatures have to deal with heat stress. Especially the combination of high temperature with high...

Related suppliers