DSM acquires next-generation eubiotics platform start-up

By Jane Byrne

- Last updated on GMT

© GettyImages/fotostorm
© GettyImages/fotostorm

Related tags eubiotics Gut health Poultry

DSM has acquired Midori USA, Inc, a biotechnology start-up with a novel precision platform developing breakthrough targeted eubiotics that improve the health and environmental impact of animals.

DSM already owns 38.5% of the shares of Midori and has today acquired the remaining 61.5% for a consideration of US$63m.

Boston based Midori has developed a technology platform that identifies glycans derived from natural food sugars that can precisely modulate how the gut microbiome functions in animals.

“These glycans provide an effective and consistent impact on animal gut health, leading to improved nutrient utilization from feed and improved animal health. Such eubiotics can reduce the environmental footprint of animal farming and support the accelerated replacement of antibiotics in animal feed,”​ claims DSM.

The use of eubiotics has grown significantly as farming practices shift to become more sustainable and along with the need to provide antibiotic alternatives. 

Promoting growth and maintaining health are two of the main requirements of animal production. One of the factors essential to both is an optimal balance of microflora (eubiosis) in the gastrointestinal tract of livestock animals. The presence of the correct balance of eubiosis optimizes nutrient absorption, according to the Netherlands headquartered group. 

The company also outlined how Midori's platform is highly synergetic with its bioscience capability and current eubiotics portfolio, which was further strengthened through the acquisition of Biomin, as part of the Erber Group deal last year.

DSM said it is looking to launch its first targeted glycan - Symphiome - later this year; the first product from the collaboration with Midori. It is designed to leverage functional modulation of the gut microbiome to improve the gut health, feed efficiency and welfare of poultry, while reducing the use of antibiotics and lowering the environmental emissions of poultry farming.

Symphiome will be the second novel mode of action eubiotic product that DSM will bring to the market after the launch of Balancius, a product aimed at improving the overall digestive health of animals. 

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Don't wait for heat peaks to prevent losses

Don't wait for heat peaks to prevent losses

Content provided by Lallemand Animal Nutrition | 20-May-2024 | Product Brochure

For milk and meat-type ruminants, heat stress can lead to disrupted feeding behavior, an increase in oxidative stress and reduction of productivity and...

A pioneer and leader in microbial fermentation

A pioneer and leader in microbial fermentation

Content provided by Lallemand Animal Nutrition | 05-Dec-2023 | Business Advice

For over 100 years we've been producing yeast and bacteria for a variety of markets, Lallemand has perfected the art of fermentation. As primary microorganism...

YeaMOS T—Special Yeast Cell Wall for Mycotoxin Bin

YeaMOS T—Special Yeast Cell Wall for Mycotoxin Bin

Content provided by Angel Yeast - animal nutrition | 11-Oct-2023 | Research Study

YeaMOS T, which has been strengthened the advantages of adsorption sites in the yeast cell wall and possesses excellent adsorption effect in the toxins.

Related suppliers